The New Year brings new opportunities to focus our lives on what and who matters most. In my mentoring and consulting practice, I am working with my clients this month, helping them talk through their answers to the following questions. Most are surprised how this simple exercise can make such a big difference.
It took me about thirty minutes to answer these questions and I have reviewed them a couple of times since then. It is helpful if you answer these questions with your calendar and journal handy.
Your Personal Life
Health: If you plan to finish well, you will need a body that doesn’t quit on you.
- What does your weekly workout routine look like for January through March?
- What improvements in your diet are you making this year?
- Are you getting a physical this year? When?
Bad Habits: Activities we do over and over again—that we know need to stop.
- What bad habits are holding you back the most right now?
- What good habits do you need to introduce into your life so that you can break the bad ones? When can you start?
- Do you plan to let anyone hold you accountable for making the changes?
Relationships: Investing in others is a great way to spend your life.
- What is your plan for investing in your relationship with God?
- What can you do to accelerate your spiritual formation this year?
- Who do you want to invest in this year (family, friends, others)? What is your game plan for each person?
- What are the major events in the lives of the people that matter most? What can you do to be prepared to deliver maximum support and encouragement and make it special?
Time: You can’t manage time but you can manage yourself and do a great job using your time wisely.
- What are the biggest goals that you want to accomplish this year?
- How can you better structure your week to be more effective?
- Are you meeting with your spouse on a regular basis to plan the month together?
- What are the major events January through March that you want to make happen?
- Looking back at the past year, what were your biggest accomplishments? Favorite events?
Money: Money is power. Earn and use it wisely.
- What are your earning goals for the new year?
- Are you on par for staying out of debt, living within your means, saving, and investing for the future?
- What are your giving goals for this year?
- What are the major impact events this year that will directly impact your finances?