Friday, May 4

Hey Fletch … Quick question for you. What is the best way to pay teenage minors who do occasional child care work for the church? 

DRF—Whether they are occasional or not, you need to follow federal and state regulations. If the church pays them, then you have liability for their work, so that’s one issue. As I recall, California allows minors to work, but need a permit. I researched and found this article from the California Department of Industrial Relations: Labor Commissioner’s Office will help. It lays out “Information on Minors and Employment.”  

The article says that: “Except in limited circumstances defined in law and summarized in the child labor law booklet, all minors under 18 years of age employed in the state of California must have a permit to work. Prior to permitting a minor to work, employers must possess a valid permit to employ and work. The permit to employ and work are issued on the same form.”

Make sure that you have a permit to hire minors. I don’t see any exemptions for churches here! Be careful, dot all your “i’s” and cross all your “t’s”. They will be tough on you if the regs aren’t followed! Talk to a labor relations professional or attorney as needed.

I would also strongly suggest that if you hire a minor, they should be paired with an adult. You do not want to have two minors supervise children or other youth.