XPastor has collected various job descriptions from churches, to aid you in preparing job descriptions for yourself or others on your staff. Below is a sample job description that David Fletcher put together, a compilation of various people’s XP job descriptions and typical of a church with 3,500+ in weekly worship.
Reports to: Senior Pastor (sometimes reports to the governing board)
Direct Reports: Strategy Team, Operations Team, HR, Assistant Executive Pastors, Executive Assistant
The Senior Pastor is the preaching and directional leader of the church and the Executive Pastor is the organizational leader. The XP implements the strategic direction of the church, optimizing the church’s financial and human resources. The XP manages day‑to‑day ministry according to the high standards of the gospel and established plans, policies and legal requirements. The XP is often a full member of the Governing Board.
Church Leadership and Governance—40%
- Oversee the staff, leading both pastorally and managerially with the five functions of Administrator, Catalyst, Mentor, Minister and Overseer (based on XPastor.org). Ensure the achievement of goals by continuously monitoring performance. Help recruit and retain highly qualified staff.
- Lead the processes of hiring or terminating, goal & objective setting, budgets and annual reviews. Monitor quality assurance. Maintain effective working relationships with the staff.
- Ensure a high level of esprit de corps between pastors, staff, governing board members, church leaders and church members.
- Lead or assist the governing board, Senior Pastor and ministry teams in special projects—scheduling, developing and implementing plans, goals, and vision.
- Implement the directional leadership of the Senior Pastor.
With the Senior Pastor, shepherd the congregation and community. Successfully manage relationships (identify, contact, inform, negotiate) with regular and problem areas within and outside the church. Participate in the worship services as needed. Perform weddings, funerals, baptisms, communion, etc. Disciple and teach locally, nationally and internationally.