The following was a presentation made at a conference, explaining the process of moving into a newly-built church building. The PowerPoint is available at the bottom of this page, complete with photos and samples of graphics.
Develop a Move-in Plan
- Revisit the plan often
- Remember the Owner’s responsibilities: A/V, Lighting, Furniture, Landscaping, etc.
- Recruit volunteers for the final setup
- Key Question: When do we announce the move-in date?
As with anytime you move into a new building, we had many unexpected issues to deal with as we moved in. We dealt with:
- Massive roof leaks
- A/V and Lighting took a while to adjust
- HVAC problems
- Leaky baptistery
- We were still working on issues six months after move-in
- We hadn’t realized the amount of increase we would incur in our electric bill after building a new Worship Center:
- 2006 electric bill – Q1: $9,087
- 2007 electric bill – Q1: $44,415
- 488% increase!
- Fire Alarms went off in the middle of the night until we got the “bugs” out of the new system
- We failed to budget for renovations that needed to be made in the current building
Move-in is a Great Time to Rebrand
- Developing the brand
- Discover your identity; Don’t invent it
- Mantra, Mission, and Values
- Rollout to other pieces
View the entire presentation and see the graphics in the PDF: Moving into Your New Facility