Carmel Presbyterian Church is seeking an Executive Pastor. This position is a great fit for a pastor with a passion for coaching people and a desire to lead with vision in the context of the local church. The ideal candidate will be a relational leader, committed to pastoral ministry expressed through the executive pastor role.
Carmel Presbyterian Church is a place where people have been gathering for over sixty years, right in the heart of Carmel, California. Carmel is a small, seaside city full of history and personality. The church doors are open to people of all walks of life and there is a place for everyone at CPC. The mission of CPC is to be a loving, growing community where people of all ages experience God personally, are transformed inwardly, and serve others in Jesus’ name.
The purpose of the Executive Pastor role is to organize all ministries and staff in order to fulfill the mission, vision and strategic plan of the church. To lead and co-labor with the Senior Pastor in the selection, recruitment, coaching, mentoring, training and supervision of leaders—including staff, elders, small group leaders and deacons. In addition to providing leadership for Men’s Ministries, the Executive Pastor will teach and train perspective Covenant Partners (formerly called members) provide pastoral care, and coach the staff and leadership to fulfill the great commission.
Carmel Presbyterian Church is a part of the Evangelical Covenant Order of Presbyterians (ECO).
Carmel is a multi-generational church. The diverse nature of the congregation is expressed in two Sunday morning services. The traditional service worships with a choir, orchestra and traditional hymns. The contemporary service worships with a band, in a relaxed, modern worship atmosphere.
CPC prioritizes families, with Children’s and Student Ministries that focus on age appropriate exploration of the gospel. Introducing children and students to the story of Christ and helping them to grow in their relationship with Him.
Carmel-by-the-Sea is a small beach city on California’s Monterey Peninsula. It’s known for museums, library of the historic Carmel Mission, and the fairytale cottages and galleries of its village-like center. The Scenic Bluff Path runs from surf spot Carmel Beach to bird-rich Carmel River State Beach, with a scuba entry point. South is the sea animals and whaling museum of Point Lobos State Natural Reserve.
Carmel-by-the-Sea may surprise you with some of the world’s finest scenery, historic sites, art galleries, restaurants, and boutique shops. From nearby historic Cannery Row to the well-known 17-Mile Drive, a scenic road through Pebble Beach and Pacific Grove on the Monterey Peninsula, much of which hugs the Pacific coastline and passes famous golf courses, mansions and scenic attractions, including the Lone Cypress, Bird Rock and the 5,300-acre Del Monte Forest of Monterey Cypress trees.
- Regularly coaches/mentors/trains volunteer leaders including small group leaders and those leading various ministries.
- Provides oversight of small group ministries, curriculum vetting and development, and the development of new leaders and new groups.
- Co-leads and collaborates with the Senior Pastor in the selection, recruitment, coaching, mentoring, training and supervision of staff.
- Oversees the activities and reviews the performance of direct reports.
- Receives training in Organic Outreach. Trains and coaches staff in the implementation of organic outreach principles into their hearts, ministries, and volunteer leaders.
- If ordained in ECO, serves on the Session with the elders. If not ordained, may be an ex officio member of the Session.
- Leads the staff and others in mobilizing people to serve.
- Works through conflicts and complaints using Peacemaking or a similar model of conflict resolution.
- Provides leadership and resourcing for Men’s Ministries.
- Provides training for prospective Covenant Partners (members) and updates the training of all Covenant Partners.
- Along with the other pastors, provides pastoral care to congregants.
- Works with the Senior Pastor in a collegial and supportive manner—with no aspirations of becoming the next Senior Pastor.
Key Results Areas
- Organizational Alignment: Ministries organized and aligned with vision and strategy.
- Leadership Development: Flourishing, effective staff and volunteer leaders—coach, mentor, train, co-lead.
- Small Groups: Transformative, relational small groups—co-lead.
- Organic Outreach: Staff effectively implementing Organic Outreach principles.
- Conflict Resolution: Effective conflict resolution/peacemaking.
- Men’s Ministries: Engaging, biblical, relational, thriving Men’s Ministries.
- Covenant Partners (Members): Trained and engaged new Covenant Partners.
- Has experience coaching a church staff. Has demonstrated proficiency in a specific coaching model or is willing to be trained in a specific model.
- Highly relational and pastoral. A high degree of emotional intelligence and stability. Able to demonstrate a cheerful, diplomatic and caring attitude while operating in a collegial atmosphere.
- Experience working with people in a church setting, building teams that achieve results through collaborative and trusting relationships.
- Ability to work flexibly and effectively with volunteers and staff, exhibiting creativity, understanding, and patience.
- Strong organizational skills and excellent follow through.
- Must be a positive role model, living above reproach at all times.
- Agreement with the Essential Tenets of our denomination (A Covenant Order of Evangelical Presbyterians—ECO)
- Is able to lead and is also able to take direction. Willingness to serve and function as an integral member of the staff team.
- A Master’s degree from an accredited seminary. Doctorate or working on doctorate
Project and Event-Based Tasks:
- Organizes annual Men’s retreat
- Works with the Senior Pastor to organize and lead two staff retreats and one Session retreat per year.
- Works with the Senior Pastor to coach, mentor and supervise staff.
- The Senior Pastor will work with the Executive Pastor to finalize the list of staff who are supervised by the Executive Pastor.
- The Bible, both Old Testament and New Testament, is God’s authoritative word to humanity. We believe Jesus Christ must be at the center of our lives and making disciples of Jesus at the core of our ministry.
- There is one God, eternally existent in three persons; Father, Son (Jesus the Christ), Holy Spirit.
- The Gospel tells us to put our faith in Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of our sins and offers us everlasting grace which is free because of His life, death, and resurrection.
- The Holy Spirit indwells Christians and keeps them together in a covenant community called the Church.
- The Bible calls Christians to meet together and encourage each other through worship, preaching/ teaching, fellowship, communion & baptism, and prayer.
- We submit ourselves to God’s Word as the authority of faith and daily living.
- We worship the Triune God alone as there is no other.
- We preach/teach the gospel as the only hope for ourselves and all around us.
- We follow the Holy Spirit in a commitment to be unified.
- We submit ourselves to the local church and seek to honor, serve, and give to the best of our ability.
Agora Search Group
Founded in April 2000, AGORA offers a record of 100% success in placing pastors, executives and senior-level leaders in churches and non-profit organizations. AGORA also has a high retention rate for pastors and mission leaders staying over five years. We want to serve as a catalyst for discernment in your search process: connecting the heartbeat of a mission with the heartbeat of a leader.
AGORA Search Group is a faith-based Colorado Springs search firm providing executive search and selection services to clients locally, nationally and internationally.
Rob Lauer, CEO of AGORA Search Group, is leading this search. Rob brings over twenty years of consulting and recruiting experience, a unique four phase process, and a broad variety of professional backgrounds into his role as CEO of AGORA. He founded AGORA in 2000 out of his personal desire to bring a more relational approach to the executive search process, rather than a transactional approach that continued to frustrate him, his clients, and his candidates.
For further details regarding this role, please contact:
CEO, AGORA Search Group