Saturday, December 8, 2018

Hey Fletch … Believe it or not, there are two churches that have offered me jobs. One is still getting the offer letter together and I have the offer from the other in hand. Thanks for your resources in this process. However, what do I do now? Wait or make a decision? Should I contact the church that hasn’t sent me an offer letter? What do I say?

DRF—Congratulations on having a church that has offered you a position! The other church hasn’t yet offered you a position, so consider your situation carefully. The old saying applies here: “a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.”

Carefully evaluate God’s call to you concerning the church that has given you an offer. They want you and so have offered the job! They have made their decision and now it is time for you to make yours. Ensure that you can live on the wage being offered. Review the role description to see that it fits your gifts and abilities. Negotiate any items of pay or role now, not after you are hired. Pray whether you should accept this offer. Find out when this church needs a reply from you. I generally give pastors three weeks to respond to a job offer.

As for the second church, I would suggest that you contact them. Carefully give an overview that another church is interested in hiring you. However, you don’t want to coerce them into making an offer—no one likes being coerced! Ask about their timeline. They may have another offer outstanding or items of internal procedure that need to be followed. Perhaps ask for their salary range. Ensure that the role description fits. Pray whether God would have you wait for this second offer.