XPastor has collected various job descriptions from churches, to aid you in preparing job descriptions for yourself or others on your staff. Below is the 2004 job description for the Executive Pastor of Northwest Bible Church in Dallas, Texas (over 2,400 in worship).
Reports to: Senior Pastor
Works with: Elder Board
Supervises: Core Vision and Spiritual Resources. Until a minister is found, supervise the area of Outreach.
The Executive Pastor shall optimize the church’s financial and human resources by managing the day‑to‑day ministry according to the high standards of the gospel and established plans, standard operating procedures, and legal requirements.
With the Senior Pastor: ensure the achievement of goals by continuously monitoring performance; help recruit and retain highly qualified individuals; monitor quality assurance; maintain effective working relationships with the staff; ensure a high level of esprit de corps between ministers, support staff, elders and church members; assist the Elder Board in developing and implementing plans, goals, and vision.
Church Governance and Leadership (80%)
- Oversee the Core Vision Team and Spiritual Resources. Assist in effectively running ministries. Fill in when they are unavailable to lead. Mentor and counsel staff. Lead the hiring and annual review process.
- Equipping—Men, Women, Singles and Equipping Classes
- Community—Small groups and Community groups, Community Care and Mercies.
- Executive—Lead Spiritual Resources: Administration, Facilities, Communications, Worship
- Family—Children’s and Youth
- Outreach—Lead until a Core Vision member is found.
- Visionary Leader—Leadership, Vision Casting, Preaching and Prayer
- Assist the Senior Pastor in special projects, bi-monthly ministerial Staff Meetings, scheduling and vision. Serve the Senior Pastor by monitoring the worship services, ensuring the proper delegation of responsibilities and compliance. Participate in the worship services as needed.
- Assist the Board: With the Senior Pastor, represent and be accountable for church ministry. Assist or lead Board projects, directives and appointed committees. Serve the Board Secretary with the compilation, distribution and permanent storage of Board minutes.
Ministerial Issues (20%)
- With the Senior Pastor, shepherd the congregation and missionaries. Minister by phone, email, letters, articles and in person to the body and community. Successfully manage relationships (identify, contact, inform, negotiate) with problem areas within and outside the church
- Perform weddings, funerals, baptisms, communion, etc.
- Teach locally, nationally and internationally.