XPastor has collected various job descriptions from churches, to aid you in preparing job descriptions for yourself or others on your staff. Below is the job description for the Executive Pastor of Irving Bible Church in Irving, Texas (over 2,400 in worship).
Execute the Vision of the Senior Pastor with the Staff
- Commit to the vision and become creatively involved in its development.
- Oversee and support staff in understanding and fulfilling vision in their area of ministry.
- Set specific, measurable goals with the staff and manage the feedback loop to insure that goals are being achieved.
- Handle personnel conflicts and troubleshoot programming problems.
- Supervise the adult ministry administrator who is responsible for implementing the ongoing programs in adult ministry.
- Lead management team meetings by creating agendas and facilitating their completion.
- Streamline and define communication and authority paths on the IBC staff that maximize personal creativity while minimizing bureaucracy.
Coordinate IBC Ministries for Maximum Efficiency
- Review goals, resources (facilities) and budgets, communicate details and coordinate events and facilities’ scheduling.
- Conduct formal search process in hiring staff and also the formal procedure in dismissing or repositioning of staff.
- Oversee budget development, budget adherence and cash flow with financial administrator.
- Coordinate with the staff new ministry initiatives from the congregation or church leadership.
- Give vital feedback to the senior pastor on rate and speed of implementation of the vision, required resources, etc.
- Institutionalize policies and procedures.
Cast Vision for Adult Ministries and Initiate New Ministries as God Leads
- Develop a streamlined, biblical purpose statement and philosophy of ministry for adult discipleship.
- Cast vision for how this might look at IBC in the next five years.
- Repurpose adult classes and seminars so that they are purposeful and progressive in meeting the stated goals of adult discipleship at IBC.
- Launch new adult ministries consistent with the IBC adult ministry vision.
- Spearhead the development of small group ministry at IBC. Work with Rick Knight and/or other volunteer small group personnel to keep the ministry publicized, operating effectively and growing.
Used by permission