As an experienced executive pastor, and as the founder of XPastor, I often have people contact me with questions about ministry. One of the most frequent issues that church leaders bring to me is about their staff:
- This one guy isn’t performing, imagine that!
- This woman is hard to get along with …
- How can we find the right person for this open position?
- This pastor is terrible in his role and I want to move him …
- I don’t hire enough people to be very skilled at it, so what should I do?
- We have great people but I want to help them grow to the next level …
Here are some things that you can do:
- Get some help from a pro at staffing. If you are repeating the same “mistakes,” then discover what your blind spot is.
- Read Bill Hendrick’s article, Good Fit or Poor Fit: How Can You Tell? Work through each of the items that Bill discusses. Bill Hendricks is a leader in the area of gift assessment.
- Check out Bill Egner’s article on Hiring for Right Fit. Bill Egner is a seasoned XP in Fort Worth, Texas, and has great insights.
- Do a search for hiring issues on XPastor.
- Check out my article on The Cost of Hiring Mistakes.
It’s vital to have a church staff that knows and follows the vision of the senior pastor—acting as a team rather than random silos. Find the right people and make sure that they are in the position that is best for their gift mix.