XPastor tries to help churches by providing some of the essentials for running a church—items like job descriptions, employment applications, review forms and policies. Below is the Children’s Learning Center Policy of Northwest Bible Church of Dallas, Texas.
Parent Handbook Cover Letter
In order to ascertain that we have a common understanding of the goals and policies for the NBC Learning Center, I am requesting that you read the entire booklet. Please cut this page out of the handbook and return this form checked and signed (front and back). Thank you for helping us to make this the excellent program we desire.
_____I have read the NBC Learning Center Parent Handbook. I understand the policies and procedures and agree to abide by them.
Parent Signature: ______________________________________Date: _________________
As a family that is part of the NBC Learning Center and/or Mother’s Day program at Northwest Bible Church, we ask that you enter into the following agreement. We ask that if both parents are sole guardians, both should sign the agreement. If only one parent has sole custody, that parent’s signature is all that is required.
Any claim or dispute arising from or related to this agreement shall be settled by mediation and, if necessary, legally binding arbitration in accordance with the Rules of Procedure for Christian Conciliation of the Institute for Christian Conciliation, a division of Peacemaker Ministries (complete text of the Rules is available at www.HisPeace.org). Judgment upon an arbitration decision may be entered in any court otherwise having jurisdiction. The parties understand that these methods shall be the sole remedy for any controversy or claim arising out of this agreement and expressly waive their right to file a lawsuit in any civil court against one another for such disputes, except to enforce an arbitration decision.
Northwest Bible Church’s Mother’s Day Out/Learning Center seeks to cultivate a biblically-informed view of life within preschool-aged children through an age appropriate curriculum.
We seek to help children grow spiritually, emotionally, intellectually and physically, laying the groundwork for the child to learn more about God and grow in the knowledge of Him.
The desire of the NBC Learning Center …
- Is to establish and maintain a fun and positive place for children to experience direction and care from nurturing adults.
- Is to provide a spiritual emphasis, which teaches the child about God, Jesus Christ and His love for us.
- Is to nurture emotional, intellectual and physical growth through guiding, instructing in basic skills and promoting physical fitness.
- Is to have parental participation in the child’s classroom as room mother, party planners, and snack providers. We welcome the chance for parents to interact with the teachers, as well as our administrator, at any time.
This handbook has been compiled to explain our program and guidelines to you. We trust you will not find the requests demanding. We feel they reflect the high standards necessary to maintain proper care for your child.
NBC Learning Center Activities
A well-structured day is planned for your child. Activities within a day will include:
- Skill builders
- Arts and crafts
- Library visits (on campus)
- Block building
- Sharing time
- Finger plays
- Story time
- Constructive outside play
- Gym play
- Active play for coordination and large muscle
- Snack time
- Stay and Play. Stay and Play is offered from 12:45 to 2:15 p.m. (at an additional charge). This time is designed as a playtime together with friends. At 1:30 p.m., activities will change to a quiet time of “books” or a Bible-based video. Reservations do not necessarily have to be made to attend Stay and Play. Stay and Play is open only to children enrolled in the NBC Learning Center.
Within our program curriculum will be a readiness program centered on themes such as:
- Letter recognition
- Colors and shapes
- Five senses
- Number concepts
- Bible stories
Current Parent Information
A roster of each student’s name, address and telephone number will be supplied to each family in the Learning Center. If you do not want this information published, please notify the office prior to September 15.
NBC Learning Center parents are encouraged to be involved with yearly activities. Parental support is an important component of the Learning Center experience. Parents are encouraged to actively participate in the school by sharing their time and talents in numerous ways. Areas you may be asked to serve in are:
- Room parent
- Assistant to room parent
- Host one of the classroom parties
- Host beginning of the year coffee
- Organize field day events
- Assist teacher in special projects
- Supply books and read to children
- Other miscellaneous items
Birthdays at Mother’s Day Out and NBC Learning Center
Your child is welcome to celebrate their birthday on the day closest to their birthday. You may send snack (special cookies work best—please no cupcakes or cakes), drink, and an inexpensive favor. Please discuss your plans with the teacher(s) so they may adjust schedule and be aware of the event.
We celebrate numerous holidays at Mother’s Day Out and the Learning Center. Those celebrated are: Thanksgiving, Christmas, Valentine’s Day, Easter and an end-of-the-year party. Halloween is not celebrated.
All children will enter Northwest Bible Church through the glass doors located on the south side of the campus. The doors can be easily identified as facing Northwest Highway and under the canopy area on the south side of the campus.
On Monday and Thursday morning, this area will be marked with orange cones. Please park in a single line, one behind the other, and pull up to the canopy area for your child to step out of the vehicle. An adult will be waiting to receive your child and usher them into the building.
If you have a child to drop off for our Mother’s Day Out program, it will be necessary for you to park your vehicle and take the younger child into the building and into the classroom. We will not be receiving MDO children from the vehicle.
The car pool is only in effect at 9:00 a.m. to 9:15 a.m. Please do not drop your child off prior to 9:00 a.m. No child is to be left unattended at any time.
The NBC Learning Center will release children promptly at 12:30 p.m. When picking up your child, you must come to the classroom door and your child will be dismissed to you. We will have no carpool line at this time.
Children will be welcomed into their classroom promptly at 9:15 a.m. Time before 9:15 is needed for teachers to prepare for the day (only staff children are allowed in the room before 9:15 a.m.) Thank you for your cooperation in this matter.
When you bring your child, please leave him/her at the classroom door. You are welcome and encouraged to discuss any important information with the teacher(s) at this time; however, teaching will begin at 9:30 a.m. and visitations should be concluded before that time. Promptness will mean your child will not miss any activity planned for that day.
Children will not be released to anyone except the parent(s) and those listed on the registration form under “emergency release” unless written permission has been given to the administrator. Your child’s safety and security is of utmost importance to us.
Dismissal from Mother’s Day Out is at 2:15 p.m.—promptly. Dismissal from the Learning Center is at 12:30 p.m.—promptly. Any children remaining at 12:45 p.m. will go into the Stay and Play—a fee will be charged.
Under no circumstances are children to be left unattended in the facility at any time. Children should be left with their teachers(s) and are in your care once you have picked them up.
Our school calendar has been developed to coordinate as much as possible with DISD. We will follow their closings for bad weather and holidays, when possible. Our calendar can be found on our website at www.nbctexas.org/children/nbclc_main.htm.
A copy of your child’s current immunization record will be kept on file. As your child’s records change, please supply the office with an updated copy of the immunization record.
In case a child becomes ill or is injured during school hours, a parent will be contacted and asked to pick up the child. In case we cannot reach the parent, more than one emergency telephone number is required on our registration form. In the event of a serious emergency, medical attention will be obtained immediately. Employees of Northwest Bible Church, NBC Learning Center or Mother’s Day Out will not transport a child to the hospital. An ambulance will be called to transport your child. Your insurance program will assume this cost.
We are very concerned about providing a healthy environment for all. Listed below are some specific descriptions of children’s symptoms, which will be helpful in determining when a child should remain at home or leave during the day if symptoms develop.
When a child has been on an antibiotic for at least 24 hours and is 24 hours fever-free, they are considered non-contagious to others.
When a child has a fever (100° F orally) he should remain at home. If a child is recovering from an illness, he should be free of fever for 24 hours before returning to Mother’s Day Out or the NBC Learning Center.
Colds and Runny Noses
If a child has a cold, he is contagious and should not come to Mother’s Day Out or the NBC Learning Center. At times, a runny nose may indicate an allergy only. If this is the case, the discharge from the nose is normally clear. However, if it is yellow or green, infection is likely present; the child may be contagious and should not be brought. A child with a green or yellow discharge will be sent home.
Ear infections are frequent in young children. Although they are not contagious, a child should have completed 24 hours of medicine and be comfortable.
This can be caused by infection, diet, teething, or medication. If a child has diarrhea for any of the above reasons, he should not come to Mother’s Day Out or the NBC Learning Center.
Vomiting, sore throat, croup, any unexplained rash, pinkeye, or other eye infections are all conditions for remaining at home.
Please do not bring children to school if any of the following symptoms are present in the previous 24-hour period:
- Elevated temperature
- Any rash diagnosed by a physician as contagious
- Cough due to a contagious condition
- Pus-like discharge from the eyes or nose due to a contagious condition
- Conjunctivitis (pink eye)
- Any known infectious childhood disease
- Repeated vomiting
- Lethargic behavior
- Cloudy or green runny noses
Teachers are not allowed to give medication. Do not send medication to school with your child.
In case of an accident or sudden illness, we will at all times try initially to:
- Contact the parents.
- Contact persons listed on the daily sign-in sheet.
- Contact persons listed as emergency numbers on the registration form.
Please make sure that all numbers are kept updated and that these people are aware that they will be called and expected to pick up your child.
Parents, please clearly label individual items belonging to your child.
- Include an extra change of clothes, in case of accidents.
- If sending grapes, bananas, carrots, or hot dogs, please cut in circles and then cut in half again to avoid choking.
- “Comfort” toys and blanket may be sent with your child.We suggest that you leave your child’s toys at home or in the car. The other children find it too difficult to understand why the child who brought the toy does not have to share his/her toy. Play guns and weapons of any kind are not allowed in the Mother’s Day Out area or in the Learning Center area. They will be turned over to the administrator.
We cannot be responsible for personal toys, special blankets or irreplaceable items.
Tuition and Fees
Tuition is payable monthly and due on the first day of each month; a late fee of $25 will be charged for tuition payments made after the first day of each month. Payments should be placed on the administrator’s desk on the due date. Checks are to be made payable to NBC-MDO or NBC Learning Center. Payment in advance by month, semester, or school year will be accepted. For tax purposes, please see the administrator for the Tax ID number.
Tuition is due until the administrator is notified in writing that a child is being withdrawn from the school. The administrator must receive written notification two weeks prior to withdrawal. Verbal messages are not acceptable as withdrawal notices.
All registration fees are non-refundable.
- September through May
- Monday and Thursday
- 9:15 a.m. to 2:15 p.m. (Mother’s Day Out)
- 9:15 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. (Learning Center)
- 12:45 to 2:15 p.m. (Stay and Play)
- An extra fee is charged for Stay and Play
For current information on Mother’s Day Out and the NBC Learning Center, please visit our website at www.nbctexas.org/children.
Other Policies to Note
- Please bring a lunch, drink, disposable diapers, bottles, cups, wipes and nap time items.
- Please bring a complete change of clothing for your child each day.
- Please label all items: lunch boxes, bags, security items, jackets, sweaters, etc.
- Play clothes are best for school. Your child should be able to play, work and climb without worrying about getting good clothes soiled or torn. Jackets and sweaters should be labeled.
- Tennis shoes or rubber-soled shoes will enable each child to run and climb without slipping. Please, no boots.
- No toys or other personal belongings should be brought to school unless requested for a lesson by your child’s teacher.
- A child attending the school will be released only to parents or a person designated by the parents.
- Mother’s Day Out begins promptly at 9:15 a.m. and ends promptly at 2:15 p.m.
- The Learning Center begins promptly at 9:15 a.m. and ends promptly at 12:30 p.m. Teachers spend their time before 9:15 a.m. in preparation for the day’s lesson and staff meetings. Stay and Play begins promptly at 12:45 p.m.; any children remaining at 12:45 p.m. will go into Stay and Play and the parent will be charged for the day.
Learning Center Evaluation Form
Student’s Name _________________________
Follows Directions Never Sometimes Mostly Always
Sings Along Never Sometimes Mostly Always
Eager to Learn Never Sometimes Mostly Always
Can be Still Never Sometimes Mostly Always
Can Identify Numbers 1-10 Never Sometimes Mostly Always
Can Identify Name Never Sometimes Mostly Always
Can Identify Letters in Name Never Sometimes Mostly Always
Can Write Name Never Sometimes Mostly Always
Sense of Humor Never Sometimes Mostly Always
Gets to Work Quickly Never Sometimes Mostly Always
Perseveres Never Sometimes Mostly Always
Shows Interest in Spiritual Matters Never Sometimes Mostly Always
Is Respectful to Adults Never Sometimes Mostly Always
Gets Along with Others Never Sometimes Mostly Always
Team player Never Sometimes Mostly Always
View the original PDF: Children’s Learning Center Handbook