Assignments—Audit or Credit
Each classes has approximately 30 minutes of required reading. The recommended reading further enhances your knowledge base. If you take the class for certification credit, the assignments for the course will take 5-10 hours.
In books, articles and journals, read 300 pages for a B or 500 pages for an A. This reading does not include the required reading for the course.
- All required reading is available at no charge on XPastor.org.
- Select additional reading from the bibliography or read other material with prior approval of the professor.
Pick a minimum of 3 for a B or 5 for an A. Audit students are not required to do the assignments.
- Relationship with the Senior Pastor and Board—Define your strengths and those of your Senior Pastor. How do you complement each other? What can one do that the other is less skilled at. Describe the function and effectiveness of your Board. Alternatively, in one or two pages, answer the key questions in the class.
- Vision, strategy and tactics—Talk with your lead pastor about his vision for the church. Analyze how your church is implementing the vision. In two pages, list the things that are well implemented and those things that need work in the next twelve months. Alternatively, in one or two pages, answer the key questions from the class session.
- Working with staff and volunteers—Write a profile that includes the strengths and limitations of your staff and major volunteer areas. From this, identify three to five areas to work on in the next year. Alternatively, in one or two pages, answer the key questions from the class session.
- Finances and Operations—Take one aspect and analyze how your church is performing. For example, this could be the look and feel of your buildings, parking lot issues, financial controls or outsourcing janitorial work. Choose an area of your church that is the highest priority and can be developed in the coming year. Alternatively, in one or two pages, answer the key questions from the class session.
- Hiring, Firing and Terminations—In two pages, take one aspect and conduct interviews with present or past staff. How did they feel about the hiring and on-boarding process? Was the transition easy, challenging or impossible? Alternatively, in one or two pages, answer the key questions from the class session.
- Write an article on one aspect of what you have learned from the course, 1,000-2,000 words. You can focus on issues in your own church or life, or from another ministry. XPastor might publish your article on the website. This assignment counts double.
- With permission of the professor, create your own assignment.
Assignments are due 5 months after the class begins. Send assignments to Tami Fletcher