Thursday, December 13, 2018
Hey Fletch … I was an XP over 20 years ago in a startup role when two churches merged. It has about 1,400 attenders. Since then I’ve been teaching in a university. I have an interview next week for an XP role in a church of about 200. Is there a step-by-step manual for being a startup XP? I need help if I should get this position.
DRF—I don’t know of a start-up manual for XPs, especially of smaller churches. Part of the challenge is that each church is different. I would suggest that you get an idea of what the church has in place already, if anything.
You could look through the major categories of articles on XPastor: Operations, Finances, Staffing, Strategy and New XP.
- Set a compensation grid for the employees, along with criteria for merit increases.
- Establish a simple HR manual.
- Consider what church policies need to be established.
- Enhance the culture of volunteering and train people to use their gifts.
- Establish a culture of generosity.
- Set a fair budget that includes contingency for new ministry or emergencies.
- Consider a 3-year staffing plan for growth.
- Evaluate the current vision and how to implement it in strategic initiatives.
You have a great opportunity ahead of you! Consider joining The Collective on XPastor to learn with us and other XPs.