Executive Pastor of Grace Covenant Church of Austin, Texas, 1,400 in worship
- Position Title: Executive Pastor
- Reports to: Senior Pastor
- Relates closely to: The members of the Elder Board
- Positions reporting to the Executive Pastor: Pastors and Ministry Directors, as defined by the organizational chart.
- Purpose of this position: To assist the Senior Pastor and Elders in providing leadership for the development of the ministries of Grace Covenant Church, so that it fulfills a defined mission and reflects core values. Providing leadership would include the five key functions of Administrator, Overseer, Mentor, Catalyst and Minister.
This is the role of supporting and enabling people to meaningfully engage in the work of the church. This includes supervision of Pastoral and Directorial Staff, volunteers and (non-pastoral) paid staff.
- To develop the pastoral team to provide leadership for the ministries of Grace that are fulfilling their defined mission and reflects our core values.
- To lead staff meetings and planning retreats.
- Be available to the pastors and directors to assist in making on-going decisions that are needed to keep the ministries moving forward.
- To assist the Ministry Teams in fulfilling their assigned mission and tasks by helping with their planning and budgeting processes, identifying laymen and providing resources, and helping resolve any interpersonal conflicts.
- To oversee the recruiting, selection, training, development, evaluation, and termination of present and future directorial, office, and pastoral staff, except the Senior Pastor. Church policy gives these responsibilities to the Executive Pastor; however, when hiring pastoral positions, the Executive Pastor also seeks concurrence from the Elders.
- To recommend human resource policy and compensation guidelines to the Servant Team.
- To motivate and mobilize staff and other members of the congregation through recognizing individual strengths, delegating responsibility and maintaining reasonable oversight.
Analogous to a strategic planner. Differentiating this from the Administrator role, the Administrator role says the church is firing on all cylinders, the overseer role ensures that we’re going in the right direction.
- To oversee the development and implementation of an annual strategic plan and ministry plans.
- To monitor and communicate the state of the ministry areas and staff responsibilities so that things are headed in the same direction and Pastors, Elders, and other leaders know how their part fits into the whole development of the church.
- To assist the Senior Pastor in giving direction through establishing and clearly communicating vision, goals and plans to pastoral and office staff.
- To oversee that Board decisions or actions are followed in the operational services of the church.
- To assist the Moderator of the Elder Board in defining agenda, follow up on past agenda items, and provide administrative support for the effective functioning of the Elder Board.
- To facilitate the flow of information to and from the Elder Board and provide current information to the Board to aid in their decision making.
- To serve as Secretary to the Board and as a designated corporate officer.
- To avoid taking sides in conflicts between pastors and elders, he should listen to each individual, make sure he understands, and seek to build united and passionate submission to God in each ministry and in each relationship, and for each individual.
The Catalyst is the person who is looking ahead, envisioning what is on the horizon and begins the process of orienting others toward the horizon goals.
- To look for new ways of organizing, operating or ministering that will increase the church’s impact and influence for the kingdom of God.
- To look for best practices of other churches or organizations.
- To make recommendations to the pastoral team or Elder Board of things that need to be addressed for the future development of the church ministries.
- To monitor the development and implementation of Grace’s maturity model within all ministry areas.
- To work with the Elder Servant Team to develop a long term plan to ensure strong goal-oriented ministries.
Ensures the church ministries and operations are running smoothly.
- To manage the on-going operations of church support services, such as, financial functions, facilities management, communications, and personnel.
- To identify and implement means to increase efficiency of church support services.
- To coordinate the annual budget process.
The Minister engages with people on staff, in the church or community on a personal and spiritual level to encourage them to develop their relationship with the Lord.
- To walk consistently with the Lord and demonstrate faith and obedience in personal life and ministry.
- To demonstrate a consistency of character between his walk with God, how he deals with people and how he fulfills his responsibilities.
- To actively engage in an effective personal ministry to the congregation through teaching groups or classes and having individual appointments.
- To conduct congregational care visits, be available for counseling weddings, funerals, etc. as needed.
- To look for opportunities to share Christ and encourage believers to mature in Christ.