Calvary Church in Pacific Palisades, California is seeking a full-time Lead Pastor to develop, oversee, and provide spiritual leadership for all the programs of Calvary Church. The right candidate for this position must have a passion for preaching the Word of God, have at least 10 years of ministry experience, and at least 5 years experience as a Senior/Lead Pastor, Campus Pastor, Associate Teaching Pastor, and/or Student Pastor.
Calvary Church of Pacific Palisades is a multi-generational, multi-cultural church that gathers for teaching and worship each Sunday at 8:30 a.m. and 10:30 a.m. The total average weekend attendance is 220 adults for both services. Sunday mornings also include small group studies as well as vibrant and growing children’s, middle school, high school, and college ministries. Calvary’s proximity to Pepperdine University and UCLA contributes to a college ministry.
During the week, Calvary has women’s Bible studies, small groups, discipleship groups, MOPS, Mommy & Me classes, Tiny Seeds (Mom’s Day Out), AWANA, and youth groups.
Calvary Church has a long and abiding commitment to spreading the Word of God throughout the world. Calvary currently supports over 40 individuals and organizations that minister within the U.S. and globally. More than 10% of the annual church budget is spent on mission activities.
Calvary sends short-term mission teams to both foreign countries and domestic disaster relief sites within the United States on a regular basis.
Located in Pacific Palisades, the church is conveniently close to Malibu, Santa Monica and the City of Los Angeles.
This area is one of the most desirable communities in Los Angeles. It has a small-town, family feel but lies within the large city. Residents are well educated, innovative, active, and entrepreneurial.
Calvary is a family-oriented church with a warm, welcoming congregation. It is a Bible-centered church with a strong staff and programs.
The following characteristics make Calvary Church a unique opportunity:
- An influential congregation that is hungry to learn and grow.
- An experienced, humble staff that passionately pursues a personal relationship with Jesus Christ.
- An active group of young leaders and volunteers.
- An experienced elder team that is supportive of the staff.
- A debt-free church with modern facilities that can accommodate growth above its current 300 members.
Full-time staff position. Flexible 5-6 days/week with at least one full day off, 45-50 hours per week.
Purpose of Position
To develop, oversee, and provide spiritual leadership for all the programs of Calvary Church.
- A humble servant leader who exhibits the qualities identified in 1 Timothy 3:1-11; Titus 1:6-9; and 2 Timothy 3:14-4:5.
- Must be a dynamic preacher with varied styles and the ability to connect with all generations.
- Have a passion for preaching the authoritative Word of God as revealed in the Old and New Testaments in a practical way.
- Leads his family well. Understands it is his first responsibility.
- Able to balance personal, social, and pastoral duties.
- Loves the local church and its mission as identified within Scripture (e.g. Matthew 22:36-40; 28:19-20; Acts 2:42-47; Romans 6:1-4; Ephesians 4:11-16; Colossians 1:28-29).
- Embraces and adheres to Calvary Church beliefs and doctrines.
- Embraces Calvary Christian School and its mission, leadership, and format.
- Be committed to biblical stewardship and be willing to teach it.
- Not burdened with excessive personal debt and manages his finances with a biblical priority.
- Have at least 10 years of ministry experience and at least 5 years experience as a Senior/Lead Pastor, Campus Pastor, Associate Teaching Pastor and/or a Student Pastor.
- Have a graduate degree from an accredited seminary. A Masters of Divinity is preferred.
- Provide visionary leadership and strategic thinking.
- Preach the Word of God.
- Shepherd the members of the congregation.
- Oversee the church staff and its responsibilities.
- Oversee and conduct the ordinances of the church: Baptism, Communion, and Dedications.
- Participate as a voting member of the Board of Elders.
- Actively support Calvary Christian School and its mission.
- Provide spiritual leadership to CCS.
The Lead Pastor reports to the Board of Elders who also review and annually provide a written performance evaluation.
- Benefits package: Family medical, sick time, disability insurance, 403b participation, cell phone.
- [Creative properties (i.e. books, outside speaking, etc.)]
- Housing in Pacific Palisades (Calvary Church owns 3 homes in Pacific Palisades)